Friday, February 20, 2015

Coffee Ideas and Alternative

Are you potentially a coffee addict?  (It is my weakness and if I could have 5 cups a day I would... especially in the cold weather.)  So here are a couple pointers to help if you do drink it daily.

1) Add a fat to your coffee to help sustain your blood sugar levels.  Coffee spikes them up which is why you get a high and then most people get a crash in 2 to 3 hours.  The fat helps keep your blood sugar levels regulated so you don't crash and burn and want another cup in 2 to 3 hours.  You can add 1 TBS of coconut oil or 1 TBS of high quality butter (grassfed).  It has made a huge difference for me when I add it in helping with my energy, not getting shaky and also getting my great quality fats in for the day (and oh so simple).

2) When you start NEEDING coffee to get up, do your tasks or get through your day that's when there is a problem.  If you just enjoy your cup in the morning I am okay with that.  But it is a different story when you have to have it.  That means you are at adrenal and possibly thyroid fatigue.  You should not have  to have it to function and if that is the case give us a call so we can help get your body back in balance. 

(Other signs/symptoms of adrenal/thyroid fatigue: Mental sluggishness, weight gain or weight that won't come off, not feeling rested in the morning, energy crash between 1 and 3 pm, burst of energy around 7 to 9pm, hair falling out, stress makes you want to start crying or run away, apathy, heart palpitations, etc.)

3) Try this coffee alternative (it doesn't taste exactly like coffee but pretty close)!  I put it in my reusable k-cup or you can brew it in a regular coffee pot too.  They make it in tea bags that I use in the office as well.  It helps curb my cravings and warms me up in this cold weather!  It is available in whole foods in the tea isle- they have the ground 'coffee' and tea bags. 

Stay warm out there! 

 
Ingredients
 


No comments:

Post a Comment