Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Zucchini Lasagna! Only 4 ingredients

For those of you who are missing lasagna... There is hope! It's great for anyone on Candida Clear, those avoiding pasta for other reasons (in my case I get instantly bloated and gain 2 pounds the next day. Not kidding) or for anyone wanting just a healthier option.

All you need is 2 to 3 zucchinis, goat cheese, hamburger and pasta sauce. (The pasta sauce is a tricky one. I was at Kroger and only found one that didn't have sugar or some form of it as an ingredient. You will have more options at Whole Foods I would imagine but make sure to read the labels. I have a pic of what I got below. It wasn't the cheapest thing but it was my only option. Plus I didn't use all of it so you can use it on something else. Maybe the homemade noodles? Click the link for the recipe http://drcarolynmaxfield.blogspot.com/2013/06/homemade-noodles-only-4-ingredients.html)

First throw your hamburger in a skillet and cook until it browns. While cooking try to prevent it from clumping (so it has a crumble like consistency).  

While it's cooking you can work on the zucchini. If you have a mandolin use that to cut your zucchini in slices. I don't have one so I cut it lengthwise in as thin of slices as possible. Some I could cut the whole length while others I could only make it half the length. No matter how it's cut it all tastes the same. 

One thing I didn't do that I would do next time is pull the moisture out of the zucchini so when it's all cooked the lasagna wouldn't be as runny. You can do this by slicing your zucchini and sprinkle sea salt on one side of it and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes while it 'sweats.' Dab up the water and the flip the zucchini over and repeat.

Now it's time to layer. I put my zucchini down first. It doesn't perfectly fit together and there will be some gaps but you get the picture. Next crumble goat cheese. Then add a layer of hamburger. Lastly pasta sauce. I made 2 layers of each. 

Bake for 25 to 30 min on 350. Before I took it out I crumbled more goat cheese on top and broiled it for a couple minutes. 

Take it out and enjoy! You may notice it is a little watery which is due to the zucchini. No big deal. Also mine fell all apart when I served it. Presentation is not my priority :) So if it doesn't maintain it's form like regular lasagna don't be alarmed. If it does... Tell me how you did it! 

Other things you could throw in it that I thought about after... Chopped up onions or garlic. Seasonings such as dried oregano or basil would have been good in it too. Any or all of the above would be perfect in the pasta sauce layer. 

Now go enjoy your 'lasagna' and don't feel bad if you eat 1/2 of the pan or more! And no bloaty stomach afterwards :) Yay! 


Layer 1
 
 
 

Layer 2 and 3
 



Layer 4 

 
 
Pasta Sauce
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment