Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Acne

Recently I have had a few questions regarding acne and if we can help people at the office... the answer is YES!! (No matter how young or old!)

Acne is something that results (most of the time but not always) from a toxicity issue, hormonal imbalances or food allergies.  We address all of those at the office. 

First with patients we address toxicities to get the bad stuff out of your body safely and effectively.  These toxicities are usually due to heavy metals, chemicals or candida (all of which are tested at the office). 

Secondly hormonal imbalances... this takes time to balance out but YES it can be done safely, naturally and soooo effectively with herbs and wholefood supplementation.  (This is what I had and expand more upon below.)  Women for example are typically estrogen dominate for a number of reasons, one being that peoples livers are sluggish and estrogen backs up (plus all the soy and phytoestrogens in our diet).  Women can also be progesterone deficient.  This happens for 1 of 2 reasons.  You may be progesterone deficient because you aren't making enough OR because you have so much estrogen that the ratio between estrogen and progesterone is so off balance that it appears you are low in progesterone because of the high levels of estrogen.  Moral of the story... we have to balance out the hormones.  No this does not mean go run to the store and take progesterone pills or rub progesterone cream on your body... (that's all synthetic!) but instead there are herbs to help us achieve this naturally.  This is exactly what made the biggest change in me.  Men also have hormonal imbalances typically due to testosterone levels and these hormonal levels can be balanced out by natural supplementation as well!

Third is food allergies.  This typically due to an allergy such as dairy or high levels of simple carbohydrates (sugars) and processed food.  Cleaning up the diet and even adding in a digestive aid can really help.

My personal journey...
I have really struggled with acne as I have gotten older.  It was a frustrating frustrating frustrating battle (yes worthy of saying that 3 times).  I have done so many cleanses... cleaned out heavy metals, chemicals, candida, etc.  That didn't change anything.  I eat really clean and have been on digestive support and no change.  I have done different topical ointments, toners and there was no major changes.  I have also been on different hormonal regulators and female support supplements but it wasn't until I got on one that specifically helped raise my progesterone levels naturally that I found the BIGGEST change.  It was crazy how quick it kicked in. 

So I did more research... progesterone levels decrease with high amounts of stress.  This is why my acne flared up significantly with undergrad but even more so with chiropractic school where my stress levels were through the roof... it all made sense.  I had been working on decreasing my estrogen levels by detoxes and focusing on supporting my liver, but until my progesterone levels increased my skin didn't change at all.  I have never been confident about my skin until just this recent finding about a month ago... what a change!

NO not everyone's skin issues are like mine.  They could be due to any one of the factors above.  I have seen people's skin clear up within a week by simply getting rid of toxins even though this and others take more time.  Every single person's journey is different however I wanted to explain a few of the different reasons for skin issues. 

DO NOT put your children on antibiotics for acne.  This may work but for all the wrong reasons.  It kills all good and bad bacteria in their digestive environment and sets them up for so many immune issues down the road.  My fiancee was on antibiotics for over a month when he was a teenager (my insides are literally cringing as I type this) for acne.  His family didn't know what else to do like most people (and he didn't know me at the time :)).  As a long term result he had a lot of fatigue and allergies because of candida which is directly related to antibiotic use.  Every year he would get a sinus infection or 2 and get on more antibiotics.  AHHH!!!  (We almost broke up over antibiotics  :) Not normal relationship stuff...)  He has done amazing on the candida detox and his immune system is sooooo much better and energy levels too! 

Other popular acne medications out there make it mandatory for females to take pregnancy tests while they are on the medication.  This is because if they are on it while pregnant it causes extreme birth defects in the fetus.  Pregnant or not why would you want to put that in your body?! Safe and natural is the way to go... and even better there are no side effects!

Please do not hesitate to call the office or email if you struggle with acne or know any teenagers that do and want help.  Remember you skin is an external reflection of what is going on internally.   There are natural, safe and effective ways to combat acne!!

No comments:

Post a Comment