Monday, August 12, 2013

Homemade... Pasta, Pesto and Meatballs!

I was in one of those moods where I didn't want to have another salad or quinoa with meat... I needed something besides the usual routine and I remembered the simple pasta recipe! And what better to make with it meatballs and some pesto! The best part is that the filler in the meatballs and the substitute for pine nuts in the pesto is almond flour (Remember is wayyyyy cheaper at Trader Joe's)!  And for anyone who doesn't remember or know almond flour/meal is just ground up almonds into a flour like texture!

PESTO- Olive Oil, Almond Flour, Basil
Super easy and tasty.  I ran out of pine nuts (plus they cost a pretty penny) and I figured I would try almond flour as a substitute.  Who knew it would work!  Throw the below ingredients in a food processor and its as simple as that.

-1 Cup Olive Oil (I had one that was flavored with cayenne pepper... it added a kick to the pesto!)
-1/2 Cup Almond Flour
-2 Handfuls of Basil

This can be used as a great topping for pasta, salads, quinoa, chicken, etc. 





MEATBALLS- Hamburger, Almond Flour, Spices
-1 lb Hamburger (Costco Shoppers:  Make sure you check out their 1 lb organic hamburger that comes in a 3 pack... great deal!)
-1/3 Cup Almond Flour
-2 Eggs
-Spices (My fiancĂ© says I was 'limiting his creative' ability because I was making him keep this to a minimum to keep it simple... He is one that just throws stuff together and it tastes great.  I like exact directions and have no creative cooking ability... so follow these minimal spices or be creative and use your own!)
--2 Tsp Pepper
--1-2 Tsp Sea Salt
--1 Tsp Onion Powder
--1-2 Tsp Garlic Powder

Mix all the ingredients together and roll into balls.  Bake on 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the hamburger is cooked.

PASTA- Quinoa Flour, Water, Olive Oil, Chia Seeds
Click this link for pasta instructions on my earlier blog post 
http://drcarolynmaxfield.blogspot.com/2013/06/homemade-noodles-only-4-ingredients.html


Throw it all together or enjoy each one of these things separately!  The meatballs would be good by themselves or on actual quinoa, the pesto can be a dressing or topping for many different meals or a great dip for veggies, and the pasta can be made like we did or topped with tomatoes or homemade marinara (I will look for a good recipe out there).  Enjoy!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment