Monday, November 25, 2013

Comparing Granola Bars. Good vs Bad.

As I was strolling through Kroger I cut though the granola bar isle and to my surprise there were so many different kinds.  There are crunchy, chocolate, low fat, strawberry, nutty, Greek yogurt, etc.  I decided to look at the ingredient list and was pretty surprised.  I had just got my Larabars which usually contain no more than 5 ingredients. Well these 'low fat' granola bars have probably no less than 15 ingredients.  (I didn't count... but I took pics to prove I am not exaggerating.)  Less is more... esp when it comes to ingredients.  There are good choices out there.  Don't you worry. 

Thumbs Down...
Quaker Chewy- 25% Less Sugar (Notice BHT preservative towards the end)

 


Nature Valley Sweet and Salty





NutriGrain (Notice the last ingredients are food coloring... avoid avoid avoid)

 
 
 


Special K Red Berries (Has the BHT preservative)

 


NutriGrain Greek Yogurt (Greek Yogurt! Yay! It HAS to be healthy.  Not true.)





Two Thumbs Up!
Now on to my favs.  Lara bars are the cheapest at Costco where you can get a large pack of them.  They are typically sweetened with dates, honey or occasionally brown rice syrup.  The ones at Costco are much more basic however Kroger carries fun flavors that are 10 for $10 sometimes.  You can mix and match which is nice to get some tasty different flavors like Cherry Cobbler, Key Lime, a lemon one, and chocolate ones too.  Here are the pics and ingredients of some of my personal favs.  NOTE: Not good for anyone on Candida Clear.  You want to stay away from dates and honey which Larabars are sweetened with.  You can have them when you are done with the cleanse.  I will have to upload a homemade recipe for anyone on Candida Clear.   

Cherry Cobbler




Apple Pie

 


Lemon Bar (Delicious!!)

 


Key Lime Pie




These are such a quick easy treat and perfect for kids.  Great for on the go, traveling (I always take the big box from Costco when I travel for a quick breakfast or snack because you never know when you will need one), or a quick pick me up in the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment