Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Switching out the Plastic

I am working on a 'Christmas' list for people.  Not that it has to be a Christmas list per say, but instead things to slowly switch in your household to make it healthier and chemical free.  There is one simple thing that you can do now... for free (in red)!  One of the major chemicals/toxins we are constantly exposed to is plastic.  (As I sit here and type this I have a plastic water bottle next to me.) Plastic water bottles, plastic wrap around our deli meet, cheeses, Tupperware containers for all our left overs, mixing bowls, cups, plates, toothpaste containers, juice bottles, etc.  I mean the list really goes on and on.  You can't get away from it however you can really change a few things that will make a big difference.

1) Stop storing left overs in plastic containers like Tupperware.

2) If you have to store in plastic containers (which there are cheap easy options so you don't)... do not heat your leftovers up in it.  (First the microwave is problem number one but I understand that's all people have at work.  But don't heat your leftovers up in the plastic!)  I bought a hot plate that Lori and I heat food up with or keep things warm.  It works great and you can put a ceramic bowl over it with your food and heat it up slowly (Add coconut oil if appropriate to keep things from sticking.  Plus you get your coconut oil in for the day!).  I know most of you won't be able to bring this to work with you but its a option.  It takes time to heat things up and doesn't zap anything to make it warm in 30 seconds (which is a good thing)!

Our hot plate at the office. 
I think it cost around $20 at Target. 

Plastic particles (especially when heated) leak into whatever product you have.  When you pour your hot leftovers into a plastic storage containers or heat them up in plastic it seeps into the food.  You don't taste it but that doesn't mean it doesn't do any harm.  Plastic actually mimics estrogen in your body and plays tricks on your endocrine (hormone producing) system which has been linked to endocrine disorders, infertility, early puberty, and even cancer.  Read this great article about dangers of plastics.  Click here

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
1) Get Pyrex containers to store all your leftovers in.  They have all sorts of shapes and sizes.  Pyrex containers are fantastic because they can go from hot to cold and not shatter.  If you are going to reheat anything up, say at work, use these!!!  I have found they are cheapest at TJ Maxx but you have more options at places like Target, Kroger, Kohls, etc.

2) Get glass reusable water bottles. (I am being a hypocrite right now but I got it on the go... However at home most of my cups/reusable water bottles are glass or ceramic.  I just have a few left I need to weed out.)

3) Save left over glass containers/bottles.  I have ones from tomato sauce, apple sauce  salsa, jam, almond butter- all of which are glass.  Peel off the label, throw it in the dishwasher and bam! you have a perfectly good glass storage container. (Just don't use these to heat up anything real quickly... use Pyrex containers.)

4) Buy yourself some mason jars to store leftovers in, drink from, etc.  They are perfect for storing soups, quinoa, cooked veggies, etc.  You can buy these virtually at any grocery store and I have even picked up some at Salvation Army.  (Just don't use these to heat up anything real quickly... use Pyrex containers.)

5) Get glass mixing bowls.  This is what inspired me to write this.  I still have my plastic ones (which are getting switched soon!) and I was mixed something hot in it.  It hit me that this is no different that cooking something hot in plastic.  Ah!  I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... but regardless go get some glass mixing bowls like me!  And donate your plastic containers :)

There are so many other things you can switch in your household but just start slowly by getting rid of what you store and heat food up in.  Then move on to getting reusable water bottles and to-go coffee or insulated mugs (Get ceramic or double insulated glass ones... Teavanna makes them). Then move on to switch your plastic cups, plates, bowls, etc.  Then go to your mixing bowls and cutting boards (get wooden ones).  Then get rid of those plastic spatulas (and get wooden ones). Baby steps. Baby steps. Baby steps.  :)



1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete