Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sausage and Gravy... Seriously Easy and Delicious!

Okay so this may be my favorite recipe so far.  I know I have said this before... but I am NOT joking.  This was so incredibly easy and so tasty.  Sausage and gravy is such a classic Southern food that  I thought would be hard to duplicate, let alone with only 3 ingredients.  Try it and be amazed like I was.  I made my fiance look at me when he tried so I could see his expression... and it was a good one! A must try!!!!!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1 pound of sausage (make sure it has no preservatives in it- nitrates, nitrites, sulfites, sulfates)

Soak your cashews in warm water the night before.  I just took a mason jar and filled it with my cashews and the warm water to sit overnight.  It does not matter how much water you soak them in as long as they are all submerged.  In the morning drain the water out and put the cashews in blender or food processor.  (I used a food processor.)  Put 2 cups of fresh water in with the cashews. Blend until creamy.  It took about 30 seconds in my food processor and the recipe online called for 2-3 minutes in a blender. 

Cook your sausage on medium heat.  When done drain excess grease.  Then put pan back on medium or low-medium heat and add your cashew gravy. Stir until warm.  (You can also add more water at this time to make it less thick but I didn't.) 

That is it!!!  Add pepper or any other seasonings you want.  Try it and feel free to be skeptical like I was but I do not think you will be let down.  This opens up the door to making gravy for potatoes, turkey, chicken, quinoa, etc... I am pretty excited about it as you can tell :)  Enjoy!!




1 comment:

  1. I love this! I can't wait to use it for other things. My Mom actually made this for us and I don't think she blended the cashews and water long enough because it was a little grainy still (she's still new to cooking "outside the box" like this so she was hesitant), but I'm sure I can get it creamy next time.

    ReplyDelete